OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2009

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Sep 2009 16:43:03 -0700
I was at Wildwood State Park on the east side of Cleveland today (E. 174th & Lakeshore Blvd.)  I was there from 9:40am to 1:25pm then I returned 4 to 6pm.  The winds started out west to northwest and there were warblers high up in the trees in various parts of the woods west of the road.  But it was an effort after awhile, the weather became north or northeast,it was hotter and I left to go to Sims Park and elsewhere.  I returned to Wildwood around 4pm.  I made many circuits around the woods closer to the lake.  I was on my last circuit of the two paths leading towards the lake.  I was walking on the path towards the bathhouse, cut through to the left where the wood chips are (south of the plantings south of the asphalt path along the lake) then came to the large pile of dirt/sand/wood left from the beach cleaning earlier this spring.  I was going counterclockwise around the corner before the big pile when a bird flew up to dead branches just outside the
 opening that goes back into the woods south of the sand pile.  I walked around the corner to see what it was as it was out of my view and figured it was a flycatcher (dead tree branches) but saw with binocs it was a LARK SPARROW and took four blurry pictures as it was real sunny and 40 feet away and then it flew into the woods. It was seen at 5:50pm.  It appears to be a juvenile from the pictures I took.  I was tired so I left.  The park service hasn't cleaned up the dirt/sand pile so the whole areas which is usually grass is dirt.  I believe the bird was in the dirt when I scared it up into the tree.  Other birds seen today not that much but there were many Chestnut-sided Warblers.

Warblers:
Nashville 2
Yellow 1
Chestnut-sided - at least 6 or 7, 2males, many females or immatures
Magnolia 8
Blackpoll  3 (seen later in the day 4to6pm)
Black-and-white 2
American Redstart - 6
Common Yellowthroat 1
Wilson's 2