OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2009

From:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Sep 2009 00:35:22 -0400
Here are some pictures I took quickly on August 3rd in our front yard.
http://picasaweb.google.com/mvalencic/HawkForPositiveID#5380427160354602930
I would appreciate any help from those who are pretty positive as to what
species this is.

At first I thought this was a juv Cooper's or Red-shouldered but the more I
studied my books I believe it is a juv Broad-winged Hawk.  Reasons:

Pale superciliary line

Pale underparts

Very light (unmarked) underwings

What appears to be a black outline to the underwing and dark wing tips

Lack of lighter crescent panels on upper wing (seen in Red-shouldered)

Uniform coloration of the wing (lacking white spots as found on Cooper's)

Many narrow bands on tail (fewer and wider on Cooper's)

I don't see many Broad-winged Hawks but happened upon one in Lancaster, OH
just two days ago.  The very light underwing with the black margin was very
obvious as the bird soared overhead for one large circle then disappeared
over the tree tops.  The Lancaster bird appeared to be an adult judging by
its breast color and pattern.

Many thanks,

Matt Valencic

Chagrin Falls, OH