OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2009

From:
Jay Stenger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jay Stenger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Sep 2009 00:28:45 -0400
Hello Rick,

The rapidly expanding US population of Eurasian Collared-Doves has not yet made much headway into the Greater Cincinnati area, the surrounding Tri-state region, and for that matter, the state of Ohio. They are certainly still very rare birds in this part of the state as well as in southeastern Indiana and Northern Kentucky. They apparently become more common farther west of our region.

There are only two spots that I am aware of where they have been regularly reported in this region (southwestern Ohio and the Greater Cincinnati Tri-state area). But even in these two places they can be missed.

Over the past three years one ECDO has been seen off and on during the warm seasons in Cottage Grove, Union County, Indiana. This very small town is located about 45 miles northwest of downtown Cincinnati just a few miles west of the Ohio border (about 9 miles north of Oxford, Ohio). The best way to locate this bird is to slowly drive back and forth on the main road (US 27), checking out telephone wires, trees, yards and a couple of silos. It is not seen on every attempt.

Probably a better bet is the second spot, the small town of West Manchester Ohio. Apparently a small resident colony of 6-8 ECDO has made this small town their home over the past couple of years. West Manchester is located about 70 miles north of downtown Cincinnati and about 30 miles northwest of Dayton, Ohio. It is located in northern Preble County along US 127. Again, the best way to find the birds here has been to slowly drive the roads of this small town while scanning all the likely spots until you run across them.

Jay Stenger

Cincinnati, Ohio