OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2009

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Sep 2009 12:20:56 -0400
I spent a few hours yesterday scouring several sites along the Scioto River in Dublin, from Kiwanis Park up to the O'Shaughnessy dam.  This narrow forested valley is a good migrant funnel, and there were some interesting birds to be found yesterday.  I've posted a more detailed description of some of the spots in this area on the Columbus Audubon website.   Notables included

cormorants - 22+ were sitting around the area above the dam, and several were seen flying downstream at different spots, so they're on the move.

Osprey - 1 was fishing along the river at Amberleigh Park, while another was at Kiwanis Park

Turkey Vultures - 25-30 were lounging around on gravel bars below the dam, waiting for it to warm up.

E.Phoebes - were at every stop, representing a bit of an early movement by these late migrants

Swainson's Thrushes - multiples at every stop hinted that they had a big mgration night the prior evening

E.Bluebirds - 1-2 at every stop was also unusual in that few of them breed in this vicinity.

Cedar Waxwings - continued strong numbers, with flocks flycatching along the river at most stops

Warblers - sparse and secretive.  I did accumulate sightings of Nashville (1), Black-thr.Green (2), Magnolia (3), Cape May (2), Blackpoll (1), Ovenbird (1), and Com.Yellowthroat (2).

Grosbeaks - Rose-breasted were at several stops, including Kiwanis

Sparrows - a Lincoln's was lurking at Kiwanis.  No White-throats yet, but lots of small flocks of Chipping.