OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2009

Date:
Sat, 26 Sep 2009 11:29:46 -0400
Commitments the last several days have prevented me from getting out to bird. Rob Thorn reported on one of my favorite locations, Oxbow Road,?yesterday. Oxbow Road is less than three minutes from home and I had some free time this morning before attending a wedding in the afternoon so I thought I would take advantage and make a quick trip to Oxbow. The birds were cooperative even if the weather wasn't. I parked at the end parking lot and began working the edge areas at the boat launch area. There was activity all around and I began to enjoy the show when the rain began. At first a light drizzle which grew into a downpour. It was at this point that I took cover under the heavy canopy on the north side. Apparently the birds had the same idea. Usually eye level in your face warblers are at Crane Creek/Magee Marsh at the lake. Today they made an appearance at Oxbow Road. The numbers were not exceptional but more than adequate. The birds and I got up close and personal, especially
  a Connecticut Warbler sulking in the underbrush less than 6 six feet from me. I finally had to surrender to the fact that I had to clean up and get ready for the afternoon wedding. Some of the species at Oxbow today were:

Warblers:

Tennessee? (1)

Orange-crowned? (1)

Northern Parula? (2)

Cape May? (1)

Yellow-rumped? (3)

Black-throated Green? (2)

Pine? (1)

Blackpoll? (6)

Black-and-White (2)

Connecticut (1)

Additional activity included 1 Red-headed Woodpecker, 2 Ruby-crowned Kinglets, 5 Gray Catbird's, and 3 Brown Thrashers.

Charlie Bombaci

Hoover Nature Preserve