OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2009

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Sep 2009 18:37:36 -0700

I went to Wildwood State Park on the east side of Cleveland today.  I didn't get there till 11am.  Vicci Weeks had been there since 8am and saw many warblers, Gray-cheeked Thrush, Golden-crowned Kinglet, Junco, five Red-breasted Nuthatches (in tall white pines).  I started looking for birds, was joined by Mark Anderson short while later, Vicci left, Mark stayed till about 2:15pm.  After Mark left I found the PRAIRIE WARBLER.  Then I left for half hour around 2:45 and when I returned it was still there.  When he returned after 4pm we were able to refind it a little further away.  It was real yellow couldn't miss it.  Here are some of the birds I found some of which I found with Mark:

Turkey Vultures - many
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Eastern Wood Pewee 2
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher 1
Eastern Phoebe 2
Flycatchers un-ID  5
Red-breasted Nuthatch 3, White-breasted 2
Brown Creeper 1
House Wren 3-4
Winter Wrens 3
Golden-crowned Kinglet 1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 2
Gray-cheeked Thrush 1
Swainsons Thrush  4-5
Wood Thrush 1
Brown Thrasher 2, G. Catbirds - 6+

Warblers (16 species)
Tennessee 1
Orange-crowned 1 (today in field north of library in goldenrod) (also received three emails that my bird yesterday was also an Orange-crowned)
Nashville  6-7
Magnolia 7
Black-throated Blue 2 f
Yellow-rumped  15 at least
Black-throated Green 4
Blackburnian 1
PRAIRIE 1
Bay-breasted 2
Blackpoll 8 to 10
Black-and-white 1
American Redstart 3
Ovenbird 1
Common Yellowthroat 1
Wilsons 1

White-throated Sparrows 20-25 - many heard also
Dark-eyed Junco 1 seen by Mark (also Vicci found some)

Prairie Warbler found in meadow like area left of path that leads out of woods towards bathhouse, but before you get to the green grassy area.  Was refound in south side of trees that are north of same grassy area (south of asphalt path going west from bathhouse.  Small meadow like area same place found Orange-crowned yesterday.  Many birds were in this area today to get out of the winds as they appeared to be from the northwest and they were all dive-bombing tress and shrubs as the winds picked up later in the afternoon.

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/