OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2009

From:
inga schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
inga schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Sep 2009 11:13:06 -0400
What's an American Bittern doing in my fields?  That's a first, yard
bird number
158 or 159, depending on how scrupulous I am about that ring necked
pheasant
that stayed here for a week in 2000, most likely an escapee from the
neighbor's pen.

First thing this morning, as I walked out into the fields the bittern
came up from the
mowed grass, right next to the buck thorn patch, and slowly rose up
and flew off
toward the trees.  I thought what was likely.....a hawk coming up from
prey.  But,
I had a good long clear look, and it reshaped into a bittern.  A
lightish brown
back and wings, with darker flight feathers.

These fields are approx. 50 acres of goldenrod, large buckthorn
patches and mowed
paths.  Not a bit of marsh or water to be seen.  Each day, birds
astound.

Inga Schmidt
Chagrin River Rd. Geauga/Cuy Co. line