OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2009

From:
Jackie Augustine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jackie Augustine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 2009 13:14:13 -0400
Hello everyone,

First, let me introduce myself.  I have recently returned to Ohio after being away for almost a decade.  I went to Miami University where I found my love of birding during an Ornithology Class with 'Doc' Osborne and Dave Russell.  Since then, I have lived in WI (my home state), KS, IA, and MN.  I have just started a position as a tenure-track Assistant Professor at the Ohio State University, Lima campus.  I am looking forward to staying awhile!!  Since I've been back, I met many of you at the Midwest Birding Symposium looking for (and seeing!) that Kirtland's Warbler.

Anyway, I'm bouncing around various research ideas and am curious about American Woodcock.  I was wondering if anyone knows where these birds display in the spring, particularly if the locations are in northwest Ohio (but please send me any reliable locations!).  I'm also curious if there's still a decent population at Miami's Research Station.  When sending sightings, please include the county.  Or is there an online database of sightings? I hear the Ohio breeding bird atlas is nearing completion?  THANKS in advance for any info!!!

Good Birding!
Jackie Augustine (nee Nooker)
Lima, OH