OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2009

[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 29 Sep 2009 07:16:10 -0700571_iso-8859-1 Thanks to Rob's post I headed to Alum lake beach just before dawn this morning and located four Franklin's Gulls (juveniles) mixed in with the hundreds of Ring-bills and occasional Herring. I also saw a nice breeding plumage common tern. Unfortunately the Franklin's took flight just as I was getting enough light for a decently crisp photo (took a few low light ones that are a bit rough). The gulls appeared to be feeding on the far side of the reservoir, but it was more difficult to ID them that far away in flight. Hopefully they will will come back [...]56_29Sep200907:16:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 2009 18:18:58 -0400
Hello!

?

As some of you already know, at the beginning of the month, I?transferred to my company's office in Carson City, NV so that I would have steady, long-term (years) project work given the current economic environment.? This was not an easy decision as I am a born and bred Buckeye,?I have made many close and dear friends?in the Ohio birding community over the past several years, and I have had many great birding experiences during that same time.? Although the list serv?is not the proper forum for this, I just wanted to take the opportunity to say "so long" (not Goodbye) for now to those of you whom I did not get a chance to contact?before my departure, and I will hopefully see many of you in the not too distant future.? I plan on returning to Ohio next May for a week or two during the height of the Spring migration.? Although west-central Nevada is not Ohio in terms of bird species during migration, there are many great areas out here to bird and many good birds to see.?It has
 been odd to see so many?birds out here that?are?less common or non-existent in Ohio such as American White Pelicans (by the hundreds!!!), Red-Necked Phalaropes, Black-Necked Stilts, Common Ravens, Western Sandpipers,?Western Grebes, Clark's Grebes, Sage Sparrow, etc., etc.? The Ruby Mountains near Elko, Nevada are about 5 hours away and are the only location in the U.S. where one can see Himalayan Snowcocks.? Besides, the Rubies are one of the most beautiful places that?I have seen in the U.S.? From more of a recreational but still a birding standpoint, Lake Tahoe is less than 30 minutes away, Yosemite National Park?is about 3 hours away (except during the winter), and the California coast is about 4 hours?away.??With that said, if any one ever comes out here, I hope that you contact me so that we could possibly meet up if I am available (work is?VERY busy) or at the least I could point you in the right direction for whatever it is you may want to see or do.? In conclusion,
  want to extend my heart-felt gratitude?to all of the good friends

that I have made and good people that I have met in the Ohio birding community, and I hope to see many of you again soon!? I believe that some day I will be a resident Buckeye again, but for now, I am going to take advantage of the many new experiences and opportunities that are available out here.? If you would like my contact info, please e-mail me privately.? Again, my apologies for this post being off-topic, but I felt that it was the best way to reach the most people.? Until next time.

Rob Lowry

Carson City, NV (formerly Powell, OH)