OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2009

Date:
Sat, 5 Sep 2009 16:11:53 -0400
This morning I checked activity in parts of the Hoover Nature Preserve at Wiese Road, Dustin Road and at the Area M Boardwalk. Water levels continue to begrudgingly recede and shorebird habitat is still sparse at best. Basically all that was to be found were Killdeer a few Spotted Sandpipers and a lone Least Sandpiper. If there is no rain during the remainder of September mudflats may eventually become productive at Dustin Road, Wiese Road, the Area M Boardwalk and near Pelican Island on the northeast shore. Better late than not at all.

At Wiese Road notables included Nashville Warbler, American Redstart and Yellow-eyed Vireo. Cedar Waxwings were the bird of the morning at Wiese with between 50 to 100 feeding on the abundant berries and insects. At the old railroad bed off Dustin Road crows were mobbing an owl. Along the Dustin Road bay’s edges were multiple Great Egrets and Greens Herons picking off the Gizzard Shad and other small fish in the shallows. Off the Area M Boardwalk there were Double-crested Cormorants, Caspian Terns, Herring Gull, Least Sandpiper, Spotted Sandpiper and Jed Burtt with some of Ohio Wesleyan’s students on a field trip. As Linda and I were leaving we spotted a Yellow-billed Cuckoo in the parking lot - Jed tipped us off to look for it.

Charlie Bombaci

Hoover Nature Preserve