OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2009

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Sep 2009 06:56:06 -0400
It must have been something in the air, with so many birders hitting the Hoover-Blendon corridor yesterday.....
I spent my few hours in the area around the dam, getting as far away as the Hoover Nature Trail (along the woods' edge NE of the dam) and the Walnut St boat launch (1/2 mile NW of the dam).  It was a good day for migrants: nothing extraordinary but a steady small stream of birds.  Highlights included:

Gulls & Tern - the gravel bars off the Walnut St. launch are starting to re-surface, so there were good #s of Ring-billed Gulls (350+) along with 1 Herring Gull and 1 Caspian Tern.

Turkey Vulture - as Al noted, they were scattered around the shoreline, trees, and poles.  I totaled around 60.

Woodpeckers - Pileateds were vocal and moving, with 2 at the Nature Trail and 1 below the dam.  Why they were so active is a mystery, since they should be non-migratory.

FLycatchers - Good #s of Pewees, with 10+ in 2 hours.  Both a Least & an Acadian were along the Hoover Nature Trail.

Swallows & swifts - swallows scarce, with only 2 Barns around the dam.  Swifts not scarce, with 50+ around the dam.  Later in the evening, I had over 1000 at two roosts in nearby Westerville.

Vireos - only Red-eyed (5+, including a few singing) and Warbling (2, in the cottonwoods below the dam)

Thrushes,Mimids - no unusual thrushes, but lots of Catbirds.  The lone Brown Thrasher was in the restored prairie patch along the Hoover Nature Trail, although the bushes & saplings there are making it look much less prairie-like.

Warblers - mostly along the sunny wood edges, both at the Hoover Nature Trail and the area below the dam; included  Tennessee (2), Chesnut-sided (2), Magnolia, Black-thr.Green, Black-thr.Blue, Cape May (3), Redstart (3), Wilson's (2).  Cape Mays were vocal, with their 'nail-on-chalkboard' chip; I had 2 flyovers just below the dam as well.  Not all Warblers are migrants yet: later in the afternoon, I had a female Hooded feeding a fledgeling at nearby Blendon Woods.

Tanagers - a female Scarlet was along the Hoover Nature Trail, while a female Summer was calling along the disc golf course below the dam.