OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2009

From:
David Vander Pluym <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 6 Sep 2009 18:19:12 -0400
Migration is in full swing in Hancock County, with the trickle of warblers now a steady stream and a few decent sized flocks forming.?
Some migrants of interest include
Empid migration seems to be in brief lull with only a couple Least Flycatchers having been seen, though today I also had a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher.? Acadian Flycatchers have also been seen, but they seem like summer birds and not migrants.?
Thrush migration is underway with the first Swainson's Thrush on Sept 3rd and since then we have had them every day
A migrant Veery and Gray-cheecked Thrush were banded on Sept 5th
A Philadelphia Vireo today at Van Buren State Park, was the first of fall for me
Pine Warbler an early migrant was on Sept 3rd
Mourning Warbler a hatch year bird gave a brief showing on Sept 3rd.
Along with the numbers of American Redstarts, Magnolia Warblers, and Black-and-white Warblers we've also had a small push of Ovenbirds and Blackpoll Warblers.? We've had 17 species in the past couple days around.?

Van Buren State Park had a lot of birds today with several nice flocks, I've included my ebird list (east half of the park) from there this morning.? The east half of the park (along the creek) was slightly more birdy than the area around the lake.

David Vander Pluym
Findlay Ohio

Location:     Van Buren State Park - East
Observation date:     9/6/09
Number of species:     37

Canada Goose     10
Red-shouldered Hawk     1