OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2009

From:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Sep 2009 15:43:32 -0700
Hey all -

Emil Bacik and I began the morning at Conneaut, where turnover was light and shorebird diversity average; highights - juv. American Golden-Plover and Stilt Sandpiper (2).  Within the gull flock, and in-and-out throughout the morning were 2nd-yr. and ad. Lesser Black-backed Gulls.  We left here at 10 and headed to...

Mosquito Lake, where we viewed the shorebird habitat described by Ethan along Hoagland-Blackstub Rd., and also the gravel road accessing the lake though its name escapes me.  The entire reservoir has been dropped quite a bit, and hunter passerby told me the state plans to drop still another two feet.   Altogether, not that many shorebirds visible from here, all common species.

On to Berlin, another reservoir in the midst of a substantial drop.  We viewed the reservoir from the US-224 overpass, and could see exposed shoreline in all directions, but very little usable shorebird habitat from here - a Killdeer and two Leasts.  On the way to the location previously described by Ben Morrison, we crossed the US-225 overpass and noted what looked like decent shorebird habitat, and large number of roosting gulls below, though there is literally no place to pull off along here and extensive signage, probably to discourage fishermen.  We hit the first pulloff near an abandoned building just north of Price Rd and walked the dry shoreline back to this area, and there in the middle of the flat - a gorgeous BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER!  A few other common shorebird sp. were present here, as well.  I also checked area south of Price Rd. where Ben had his birds, and saw very few shorebirds, but heading back - all the birds seen at the previous
 location, including the Buff-breasted, passed overhead heading this way.  So, both spots are definitely worth a check and feature great Buff-breasted habitat.

The last stop was the Knapp Rd. access to West Branch Reservoir, which was void of shorebirds besides many Killdeer and a Least.

Photos from today are up at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28939750@N05/?saved=1

If you have trouble accessing the page, replace the word 'at' with the 'at' symbol.

Cheers -
Gabe Leidy
Cleveland