OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2009

Date:
Mon, 7 Sep 2009 21:22:02 -0400
Greetings one and all!

I was originally going to go to Deleware today but after getting up and seeing the radar, I decided to go towards Lima instead.  I went over to Grand Lake St. Marys and spotted a Snowy Egret over at the Refuge. I was looking for a Little Blue that was there.  I didnt see it.  I also saw a Kingfisher over at the fish hatchery as well as a duck that will need to be ID later.  Not much else there, so I decided to go hit a couple of woodlands in hopes of finding some warblers.  I wasn't disapointed! :-)

First I went to Kendrick Woods MP near Lima and almost right out of the box, I spotted a Black Throated Blue. Then, a first for me; a Northern Waterthrush.  Then a Black and White joined the mix. Plus a flycatcher of some sort.  Are there have a yellow belly and sides and have "wiskers" like a Kingbird? I have pics if anyone wants to give it a go.  There were a few Great Creasted Flycatchers flying around togeather.  Also a Hairy Woodpecker was looking for food.  And I could have sworn I heard a Pileated being very vocal in there somewhere.  There were other warblers there, but they were fluttering to fast for a positive ID.

I finished my day over at Lawrence Woods NP and spotted an Ovenbird. Titmice were all over the woods.  Not much else spotted but I heard Pewees all over the woods. At the pond there was a Pheobe going out to eat.  Before I left I decided to "chimp" my photos a little before heading out.  while doing that, I heard a male Pheasant calling right behind me.  All I saw was the brush moving but no Pheasant. :-(

That's about it. For me it was a great day!

I'll be posting pictures of the non IDed ones over at the forum...as soon as my wife lets me have the computer again. :-O

Happy Birding and God Bless

Steve Jones
(a.k.a. sjlarue)
Blog: http://sjlarueslenses.blogspot.com/ (Updated Sept. 6, 2009)

Genesis 1.20

And God said, "Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the expanse of the sky."