OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2009

From:
Lee Underschultz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 8 Sep 2009 21:57:08 -0400
Lee Underschultz
Firefly Hollow
Little Hocking, OH

Bird activity has been sparse here lately to say the least. But today at
1:10pm all of sudden the birds were all here. I was checking e-mail and some
motion outside the living room window caught my eye. There were 3 juvenile
Tufted Titmice checking the deck out. With them was a single Carolina
Chickadee. No big deal. But then on the tree next to the deck I spotted a
juvenile Baltimore Oriole. On another nearby tree was a male Scarlet Tanager
in non-breeding plumage. Then I spotted another Scarlet Tanager (not sure if
ti was a juvenile or a female). In another tree was a juvenile Rose-breasted
Grosbeak. Then in the background I spotted a juvenile Pileated Woodepecker.
The first Pileated I've seen in the backyard this year. In the next ten
minutes the trees were alive with activity. A Brown Thrasher, Carolina Wren,
Northern Cardinal and a juvenile Red-Bellied Woodpecker all were there. I
also heard a White-Eyed Vireo although I couldn't spot it. But they are
regulars around here so not a surprise. Also heard a Blue Jay squawking. An
amazing 10 minute stretch after such a long quiet spell. It will be
interesting to see what tomorrow brings.

Oh, and the Nighthawks were still migrating through last evening. Four or
five wheeling around and drifting from west heading east. And at dusk this
evening as I was mowing around dusk a Green Heron returned to the pine trees
where their nest is. I haven't seen him for awhile.

Remember this Sunday is the MAWE hike here. It starts at 2 pm and admission
is FREE. Birders and hikers of all ages are welcome. There is always lots of
seating and good birding in the daylily garden for those who can't or don't
want to hike. There is also a restroom in the garden area. Hope to see some
of you there. E-mail for directions.

Lee Underschultz
Firefly Hollow
Little Hocking, OH