OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2009

Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 2009 16:41:09 GMT
September 9, 2009

I arrived back in southern California Sunday night after a splendid 10 days at home on our Flint Ridge farm. There was nothing too surprising in the mix of species during that period, but it was nice to see our first nighthawk in three years.

Jane (my wife, the farmer) remarked a few days ago about all the squawking the goldfinches were doing. This morning she reported to me that it appears to be "babies" making most of the noise, and a female was feeding them sunflower seed. Since this seems unusually late for this activity I thought it was worth noting for the record: yet another instance of oddly-timed behavior in this oddly-timed summer. I'm guessing there was a second brood.

Note: Personally, I find the sound of goldfinches rather delightful. I'm very happy when Jane makes insightful bird observations, even if her opinions of bird sounds don't always jibe with mine. Over our 23 years together she has become a better bird observer than she lets on.

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
Hopewell Township, Muskingum County
DeLorme 70 A1 (classic editions) - the Gratiot 7 1/2 minute USGS quadrangle