OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2009

From:
Ken Ostermiller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Ostermiller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 2009 19:49:48 -0400
We visited Funk Bottoms Wildlife Area in Wayne County this afternoon.
http://www.ohiobirds.org/birdingsites/showsite.php?Site_ID=8

There were 27 American Golden Plover and many Killdeer in the ponds on
Wilderness Road. The birds didn't seem bothered by the workers from the
Hyponex company working nearby.

We also saw 26 Sandhill Cranes from the viewing tower. It was interesting to
watch the Cranes fly into the field and then disappear in the vegetation. If
we hadn't seen them flying, we might have missed them.

Red-winged Blackbirds and Tree Swallows were in flocks which we viewed from
the tower also.

Location:     Funk Bottoms Wildlife Area--Wilderness Road
Observation date:     9/9/09
Number of species:     11

Great Blue Heron     1
Turkey Vulture     8
Red-tailed Hawk     1
American Kestrel     2
American Golden-Plover     27
Killdeer     200
Lesser Yellowlegs     8
Mourning Dove     6
Red-headed Woodpecker     2
Northern Flicker     1
American Crow     2

Location:     Funk Bottoms Wildlife Area
Observation date:     9/9/09
Number of species:     12

Great Blue Heron     1
Turkey Vulture     5