OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2009

Date:
Fri, 11 Sep 2009 15:35:02 -0400
This morning I finally ran out of ways to procrastinate and with gear in hand began the task of cleaning my nest boxes at the Hoover Nature Preserve. This could become a sport known as sloshing as the mud and silt have the consistency of chocolate pudding in many places. After mucking your way to the next box you get to open it and see what surprise it has to offer. Today’s prizes included 4 Little brown Bats, 8 Deer Mice, 12 very large spiders and a first, a flying squirrel. It apparently gnawed at the entrance to enlarge it just enough to squeeze through. But with the work come the rewards - birds.

The area between the Area N roadbed and the end of the Area M boardwalk is showing more mudflat and with it the arrival of shorebirds, abet not high numbers yet but things are looking up. Viewing is best from the Area N roadbed. Area N also yielded some decent warblers this morning. Maintaining he nest boxes and birding don’t mix if one wants to get the nest boxes done quickly. But the conditions were comfortable, mild temperature, low humidity and very few mosquitoes.

Species observed in Area N and on the mudflats at Area M included:

Double-crested Cormorant

Great Blue Heron

Great Egret

Green Heron