OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2009

From:
Chris Decker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Decker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Sep 2009 09:28:03 -0400
I was at Ottawa NWR yesterday and there were good numbers of shorebirds on pool 2B.  In the NW corner of the impoundment, I was looking at a small goup of Killdeer on a small mudflat, and I believe that I saw a Juvenile Piping Plover.  It was a very small bird next to the Killdeer, and looked very pale gray in the same light as the Killdeer(s).  As I am newer to shorebird identification, what immature or light morphs of other species should I be looking at to rule out a misidentification?

The single bird that I saw was very small, had a very round head, and a short, stocky all black bill.  There was a single, light grey clearly defined belt, and very faint white supercillium.  I did not trust the color of the legs.  The wings tucked neatly into the tail section, and I could not see any defined marks on the subscapulars, coverts or tertials.  I heard no calls from the specimen, and saw if in a variety of angles.  It did not get to see the bird in flight.

I was unaware of how rare this bird is in Ohio when I was looking at it, so I was rather confident of my ID at the time.  As I have been reasearching more, I am becoming sceptical of my initial identification.

Has anyone else seen these at Ottawa this year?  Is the timing correct?

Thanks,

Chris