OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2009

From:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Sep 2009 13:00:15 -0400
This afternoon (Saturday Sept. 12) I checked these three spots in Erie
County, just east of Sandusky.  No Northern Wheatears or Curlew Sandpipers,
but a decent assortment of birds.

The woods at Sheldon Marsh State Nature Preserve produced 15 species of
warblers, plus several Swainson's Thrushes and Red-eyed Vireos, one
Philadelphia Vireo, and a few other migrants.  Nothing unusual among the
warblers, but 8 Bay-breasted and 6 Blackpoll provided for some good study,
and it was good to see 4 Blackburnians and a Cape May.  As expected at this
season, the warblers were very much concentrated in a few flocks (and
associating with other birds like chickadees), with practically nothing
moving in between.  Two American Wigeon (associating with the Wood Ducks and
Mallards) seemed likely to have been birds that had summered locally, rather
than arriving fall migrants, at this early date.

Pipe Creek Wildlife Area was marked as being closed for a controlled access
waterfowl hunt.  Presumably this is for teal season, which I believe lasts
through September 20.

Three weeks ago at the Huron River Pier, Gabe Leidy and Emil Bacik found
several thousand gulls, including several Bonaparte's and a Laughing.
Checking the area late this afternoon I estimated about 3000 Ring-billed
Gulls, 800 Herring Gulls, and not a single gull of any other species.  Of
course, this is a spot where things can change radically from day to day,
and it's always worth checking.  A single Osprey came over while I was
there.

Kenn Kaufman
Oak Harbor, Ohio