OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2009

From:
Bruce Glick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Glick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Sep 2009 17:09:32 -0700
I stopped by the Yoder farm this afternoon (Sunday) about 3:30. The Wheatear was perched on the logs just where it was when I got there Saturday noon. There were a number of birders present and the sign-in sheet had over 250 signatures since the excitement began yesterday. I was pleased at the genuine warm welcome that all visitors received from the Yoder family. They had a special church service today that meant they were not at home most of the day, but nevertheless welcomed people to come and see the Wheatear. The edge of their newly planted grass took a beating yesterday but other than that, everything seemed to go smoothly. I have rarely seen such a cooperative bird. A number of local biking birders got this unexpected bonus and the year total for several of them has neared or reached 245 species - better than I do with a car!
 I will try to update the status of this bird whenever possible but will be out of town tomorrow. I have not posted photos anywhere yet but do have several closeups, including one with wings held out while the bird was actively hunting? on and near the ground for a minute or so. Contact me personally if interested. Thanks for once again coming to visit us in Holmes County!

 Bruce Glick