OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2009

From:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Sep 2009 01:22:52 -0400
Anyone who will be birding in northwest Ohio this weekend, especially those
coming from out of the area to attend the Midwest Birding Symposium, should
be aware of the resources for local birding available through the website of
Black Swamp Bird Observatory (BSBO).

The BSBO main "birding page" includes a link to the latest information.
Featured right now is an update on current birding conditions at many of the
sites slated for field trips at the symposium, such as Ottawa NWR, Magee
Marsh, Toussaint Wildlife Area, East Harbor State Park, and Sheldon Marsh,
plus several other nearby sites. This writeup probably will be further
updated and expanded during the next couple of days as more info becomes
available.

The main birding page also has a link to "birding hotspots: directions and
maps" to help visitors find and enjoy these sites.  For Sheldon Marsh State
Nature Preserve, a fine spot for seeing migrant songbirds (I had 15 species
of warblers there last Saturday), we have a brand new "BSBO birding map" --
this is by far the most detailed map of this site available online, and the
only one produced with birders in mind.  Also check out BSBO's detailed
birding maps for Magee Marsh (both an overview of the area and a detail map
of the famous boardwalk), Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge (three maps, for
overview, hiking trails, and auto tour), and Metzger Marsh Wildlife Area.
All of these are in pdf format so you can download and print your own copies
for free. (Or if you're at the symposium, stop by the BSBO booth in the
vendors' area, where copies of the maps might be available.)

For all of this information and more, go to  http://www.bsbo.org/birding/
and follow the links for "latest birding information" (at the top of the
page) and "birding hotspots: directions and maps."

It should be a great weekend of birding, catching up with other birders, and
shining a positive light on Ohio.  Kudos to Bird Watcher's Digest and Ohio
Ornithological Society for undertaking the massive job of organizing the
Midwest Birding Symposium.  We'll hope to see many of you there!

Kenn Kaufman
Oak Harbor, Ohio