OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2009

From:
PAUL RODEWALD <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
PAUL RODEWALD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 2009 17:32:13 -0400
Ohio Birders:

I read with much interest Bill Whan's comments last week about the possible historical record of Fish Crow in Ohio.  I wanted to add that Fish Crows are breeding closer to Ohio than many of us realize.  The ongoing Indiana Breeding Bird Atlas has a couple records along the Ohio River in extreme southern Indiana.  However, Fish Crows may reach Ohio more quickly from the east where there is now a Pennsylvania breeding record a mere 40 miles from Ohio!  Hard to say how long it will take for them to reach Ohio, but Fish Crow are known to make 'jumps' in their breeding range with small populations sometimes turning up large distances from their previous range.  You can get an excellent view of the westward expansion of the Fish Crow's breeding range by having a look at the Pennsylvania Breeding Bird Atlas website:
http://bird.atlasing.org/Atlas/PA/Main?cmd=stateSummary&theme=species&edition=current&species=fiscro

By clicking on "View Previous Atlas Data" you can toggle between the Fish Crow breeding map for the current PA Breeding Bird Atlas and the map for PA's first Breeding Bird Atlas (completed in late1980s).  In doing this, you'll see that the species has pushed westward toward Ohio by about 90 miles over the last 20-25 years.

While you're at it, have a look at the breeding maps for Common Raven (recently rediscovered breeding in Ohio), which also shows a nice westward expansion in breeding range.  And then, click on Yellow-rumped Warbler which has a confirmed breeding record in a PA block (right on) the Ohio border (Ashtabula County) on the east side of Pymatuning Reservoir!  As far as I am aware, there is no confirmed breeding record of Yellow-rumped Warbler for Ohio.  These and many other maps show some very interesting changes in PA, but the same can be said for the Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II website.  If you want to learn more about OBBA II, have a look at:
http://www.ohiobirds.org/obba2/

Paul G. Rodewald
Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II
The Ohio State University