OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2009

From:
Bob Hinkle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Hinkle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Oct 2009 10:47:18 -0400
Call me sentimental, but jeepers, folks, aren't these migrating out-of-area
guys already under enough stress between being a zillion miles away from
their "normal" range and facing nights below freezing here in Ohio to have
to get their little butts banded?  Must every single one be banded to
"prove" what they are? Sounds like we've gone back to the days of "shotgun
identification".

I'd suggest that folks take a whole bunch of great photos ( we both know
lots of people will)  and then leave them the heck alone. Goodness knows
there are MORE than enough HUGE lenses around in amateur and professional
hands, and a long string of digital photos taken in full burst mode isn't
going to cost a darned thing to record and look at. The photos will be
amazingly detailed, as we've all seen from postings on OOS and other venues.

And yes, I support banding in general and in spring in particular. And yes,
I also know what the recovery rates are.

Seems like only yesterday that some bander killed one or more "out of area"
hummers in southern Ohio so they could get it "for the record". Maybe for
once just leave them the heck alone? They're stressed enough.

Let the flames begin, off list please.

Use  [log in to unmask]   Thanks.

Bob Hinkle
Solon, Ohio