OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2009

From:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Oct 2009 13:06:56 -0700
Just before daybreak, Emil Bacik and I began our walk out to the end of Huron Pier (Erie Co.).  While walking a considerable distance ahead, a heard a yelp against the strong north wind, and turned back to see Emil staring at something.  I hustled back to the spot, and barely perceptible in the early a.m. blackness was a juvenile SABINE'S GULL, the only bird on the beach!  Emil had noticed something alight on the beach (I had just walked by the spot a minute earlier), and low and behold!  The bird rested calmly on the beach for several minutes, then began strolling, and after taking a couple short flights, got up and flew the length of the beach, up and out sight to the east.  I'm not sure that I breathed once, during its entire stay!  Photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28939750@N05/?saved=1

Otherwise, the waterbird passage was uneventful, though the first waves of Bonies have finally arrived (300) and a single Common Loon passed.  Literally every tree on the walk out to the lighthouse was dripping with both kinglets, along with other migrants typical of the season.

From here, we headed south to Butler (Knox Co.) to view the SELASPHORUS SP. hummingbird visiting Junior Niscley's (sp?) feeder, though it spent much of our visit hawking insects from the maples in the front yard.  The bird is more than likely an adult female, though perhaps a young male.  The wingtip projection appeared a bit lengthy, though a solid look at tail feather structure was hard to come by.  A very sharp bird indeed - it will be banded by Allen Chartier Tues., so we can expect a definitive I.D. then.  The hosts were very warm & gracious - while there, they also shared a Pine Warbler with us foraging out the kitchen window.

Good birding -
Gabe Leidy
Cleveland