OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2009

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Oct 2009 21:25:55 -0400
We birded the Conneaut sandspit and lagoon area today, saturday, from 1PM to 3PM. It was 45 degrees and extremely windy. Each time we visit Conneaut, it is almost worth the drive, to see what local entertainment awaits us. Today there was a car buried to the frame in soft sand, partially blocking the access to the sandspit; grown men doing donuts in the sand with their two pickups; a couple with their four free roaming dogs; an overloaded craft with four people and a boatload of Canada Goose decoys; and a new twist, three non-golfer looking guys in a ratty 4 by 4 hitting golf balls toward the gull assortment at their usual location at the sand barrier. Fortunately we saw no injured gulls! Back to the birding, it was worth the trip up! Of 30 species seen here were some of the highlights:

American Black Duck  1 (on the barrier with the gulls)

Northern Shoveler  pair

Northern Pintail  3

Green-winged Teal  12+

Pied-billed Grebe  2

Double-crested Cormorant  140+

Green Heron  1

Black-crowned Night-Heron  1 adult, 5 juveniles

American Coot  2

Greater Yellowlegs  1

Sanderling  2

Dunlin  60+