OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2009

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Oct 2009 10:08:19 -0400
Scott & all--
        The Ottawa vermilion flycatcher, a young male (the photos I've seen of
the Headlands bird look like a female), was known to be around from 4
November to 12 December 2001. It was Ohio's third record (other records
in 1958 and 1973). Photographers Brian Zwiebel and Sharon Cummings were
the first to report it, and as it happened the latest public report came
from Kent Miller. If anyone knows of earlier or later dates--both quite
possible--please let us know. This period coincided with Ohio's only
brown-headed nuthatch record, several rufous hummingbirds, lots of
northern finches and snowy owls, and five pomarine jaegers passing some
time in Rocky River.
        The discovery of this bird posed some novel challenges for ONWR staff:
it was widely known to be present, and only 150 yards north of a closed
gate. Some of us talked with them about how to handle the whole thing.
Mindful of the fact that it was the season for hunting, some  taking
place close by, they scheduled open periods for observers to park
outside the gate and walk in, as well as an auto route from the HQ
marked by orange cones, during three days of the first week of the
bird's stay. They provided supervision. I had the privilege of spending
most of a day waiting for the bird with the future manager of ONWR, Doug
Brewer, who was good company and a good sport about our peculiar hobby.
        The open period didn't last long enough for many observers, though, and
when it was announced that the ONWR census team had refound the bird
much later on 2 December, with its molt into adult plumage well
advanced, birders clamored for more access, but it was not granted,
partly in view of continued hunting. It turned out that some folks
associated with the Refuge were strewing mealworms in the area to
accommodate the bird during this period. Some were able to get a look at
the bird, via spotting scopes, from the gate. While there were many
birders who couldn't get a look, this event encouraged a new spirit of
cooperation between non-hunters and the Refuge which is evident today,
and I feel sure if such a rarity appears again more generous access will
be available.
Bill Whan
Columbus
p.s. historical details like this are available in back issues of the
Ohio Cardinal, and on line via archives of this list. For the latter,
some of the links on the OOS site are dead, but you can revive them via
services like the Wayback Machine (q.v.).