OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2009

From:
kent miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
kent miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 2009 11:32:02 -0700
Quite a spectacle of birds remain at the north end of Mosquito Lake Thursday morning. 15 species of ducks (with impressive numbers of dabblers)and 11 species of shorebirds were found at the spot previously described by Craig & Ethan. In addition to what Craig posted from yesterday we saw 3 Surf Scoter, Common Goldeneye, Common Loon (both at the bridge), Ring-necked Duck, Lesser Scaup, Pintail, 8 Tundra Swans that landed and squabbled with 4 Trumpeters that were already there, Stilt Sandpiper, Long-billed Dowitcher, Semipalmated Plover, Black-bellied Plover, Least Sandpiper, as well as Pipits, Snow Buntings, & a Lapland Longspur, & Tree Swallow. Bonaparte's numbers were well up from yesterday as well and the Bald Eagle count was up to 10 right together among the other birds.

Kent Miller for Ben Morrison