OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2009

From:
Jeffery Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeffery Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 2009 11:05:06 -0400
The lure of of a rarity packed weekend filled with Vermillion Flycatchers, Red and Red-necked Phalaropes, and Green Violet-ear hummingbirds (Indiana) drew Amy and I west for our first ever birding visit to Ohio. Unfortunately most of that action packed weekend failed to materialize with the Headlands Beach State Park Vermillion Flycatcher being a one day wonder and the Green Violet-ear being, for all intents and purposes, a one day wonder (there was a brief early Saturday visit but before the allotted visiting hours and then the bird has yet to be seen again). But for our efforts, most of the effort being a 14 hour round trip drive, we were rewarded with the magical looks that many Ohio, and some intrepid PA birders, have been enjoying at the break wall at Conneaut Harbor of Phalaropes.  After a fruitless search of the Headlands we drove to Conneaut and found our way to the break wall. I climbed up on the giant rocks a few moments ahead of Amy, "as usual" some of you who know us may say, the words "left for dead" being one of Amy's most frequently uttered laments while we are chasing (See Red-necked Stint/Sharptailed Sandpiper at JBNWR http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffamy/2732961353/) and I scanned the horizon quickly with my binoculars with no sign of our target. I worriedly pulled down my binoculars, afraid we had struck out again, and looked down at the waves breaking hard on the rocks right in front of me. There, not more than 15 feet from the edge of the rocks, were 2 RED PHALAROPES (Photos) and 1 RED-NECKED PHALAROPE (Photos) feeding vigorously in the water being churned up by the waves. It was an awesome view even naked eye. The fact that the birds were frequently backlit, the "Seas" were very rough, the skies dark and overcast with brief moments of sunlight pouring through made for difficult but dramtically beautiful lighting conditions. Red Phalarope had been a nemesis bird for us with numerous trips coming up empty (including one hurried 5 hour after-work trip to Broadkill Beach in DE where we missed the bird by less that 5 minutes) so it was doubly rewarding to get such exceptionally close looks for the several hours we were there. Overall it was a fantastic and very memorable experience.

         By 5 pm the only report out of Indiana on the Green Violet-Ear was very discouraging so instead of trekking to IN we decided to stay in Youngstown and visit the National Aviary in Pittsbugh on our way home to Southeast PA. This was our first visit to the National Aviary and despite the woeful lack of parking and signage we had a great time. The aviary has a lovely selection of birds including a jaw-droppingly beautiful pair of Steller's Sea Eagles on the left as you first walk in. A few of the many other highlights for me included Scarlet Ibis, Boat-billed Heron, Inca Terns, African Penguins, Rhinoceros Hornbill, and Chukar (a "heard only" life bird for us). Also a special treat were the 2 "Extinct in the Wild" species found there, the Guam Rail (Photo) (which was a tough bird to locate even indoors!) and the nominate subspecies of Micronesian Kingfisher (Photo). Overall it is a very nice aviary and a very nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Our bird photos can be seen at the link below:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffamy/

regards,
jeff

Downingtown, PA

Checkout our bird photos at the link below:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffamy/

"Birding Like I Have Six Months To Live"