OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2009

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Oct 2009 10:05:57 -0700
I'm again having large computer problems at home, so had to wait till today to use a library computer to post.  I stopped at West Branch SP on Oct. 3, there is still excellent mudflats/shallows habitat at the Rte. 14/Knapp Rd. area.  Shorebirds are picking up there, and on that day a MERLIN was hunting them there briefly.  In the area were great blue herons, killdeers, 6 greater yellowlegs, 4 lesser yellowlegs, 6 least sandpipers, 2 pectoral sandpipers, dunlin, ring-billed gulls, house wren, gray catbird, and c. yellowthroat.  I've been scouting around my local patch in NE Mahoning Co. in Poland/Coitsville Twps. the last couple days, finding:  red-shouldered hawk, Cooper's hawk, chimney swift, n. flickers, e. phoebe, red-breasted nuthatch, e. bluebirds, Swainson's thrush, gray catbird, n. mockingbirds, cedar waxwing, magnolia warbler, black-throated green warbler, yellow-rumped warbler, c. yellowthroat, 8 e. towhees, field sparrows, song sparrows,
 swamp sparrow, Am. goldfinches, and a decent-sized roost of c. grackles and red-winged blackbirds.  Later, Craig