OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2009

From:
Victor Fazio <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Fazio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 2009 17:01:55 -0700
Of possible interest to this thread, here is the current map
of October Ruby-throated Hummingbird records within eBird.

http://tiny.cc/u1TUy

Although I selected the last 60 years time frame, eBird records
are in fact very sparse prior to 2007 so the October sample size
is still small enough that one shouldn't read too much into the bar chart
(which is influenced strongly by sample size).

The Oct record base includes 44 reports*, with single day high counts of
3 birds as late as 11 Oct. Most sightings are of 1-2 birds and can be
said to annual through 6 Oct. That is best illustrated by selecting the
birds/hr tab above the map.

*I have vetted these reports, but if any of the mapped items piques
your interest be sure to click the respective balloon for more on the
where,when, and who of a particular record. In this way anyone may
scrutinize any record (in some cases before I have had an opportunity
to see it).

Of course, the real interest here lay in comparisons with Rufous
Hummingbird however that database is so small as to preclude a
comparison at this time. To date, only 42 reports (just 2 in Oct.)
involving 10 birds are logged with eBird. Bill or Jim likely know this
off the top of their heads, but as I do not have access to my library
in Cleveland, I'll just ballpark that at around 20% of the
documented print records for Rufous and/or Selasphorus sp, for Ohio.

cheers

Vic Fazio
Lawton, OK
eBird Reviewer, OH http://ebird.org