OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2009

From:
William Hull <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Hull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 2009 10:07:26 -0400
I had an interesting experience last week.   I was on the north side
of the lake at East Fork State Park, Clermont County, last week
photographing insects when I heard a nasally two note call.  It has
been a couple of years since I have heard a Fish Crow but this bird
sounded very close.  I tracked it down and found a single crow hidden
behind some branches in a tree overhanging the lake.  It continued to
make the two note nasal call.  I called Bob Foppe and he played some
Fish Crow calls so that I could hear them over the phone.  The
duration of the two notes of the call were almost identical, however
the East Fork bird's tone was a little deeper.  It also seemed a
little deeper than what I recall from time spent in Fish Crow habitat.
 The bird continued to call a few more times while staying mostly
hidden then went silent for about 10 minutes.  After that it flew
about 100 yards to a snag where it perched in the open and proceeded
to make typical American Crow calls.  I concluded that it was most
likely an American Crow.  There were no other crows in the area for
the 45 minutes that I was at the location.
Cheers,
Bill Hull
Cincinnati, OH, USA
http://www.mangoverde.com/