OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2009

From:
Heather Raymond <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Heather Raymond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 2009 09:48:09 -0700
I meant to include this revised list at the end of my last post (ordered based on first observation, not taxonomy):

Double-crested Cormorant: DCCO 96
Mallard: MALL 22
Canada Goose: CAGO 39
Greater Yellowlegs: GRYE 1
Spotted Sandpiper: SPSA 1
Great Egret: GREG 15
Great Blue Heron: GBHE 4
Northern Cardinal: NOCA 7
White-throated Sparrow: WTSP 1
Ring-billed Gull: RBGU 35
Herring Gull: HEGU 1
Peregrine Falcon: PEFA 1
Carolina Wren: CAWR 3
Carolina Chickadee: CACH 7
Downy Woodpecker: DOWO 1
American Robin: AMRO 9
Cooper's Hawk: COHA 1
Song Sparrow: SOSP 21
Chimney Swift: CHSW 7
Mourning Dove: MODO 4
Northern Flicker: NOFL 1
Killdeer: KILL 3
Pied-billed Grebe: PBGR 1
Blue Jay: BLJA 1

Other species observed earlier in the week along the river:
Yellow-rumped Warbler: YRWA (numerous)
Black-throated Green Warbler: BTNW 1
Eastern Phoebe: EAPH 1
Cedar Waxwing: CEDW (numerous)
Belted Kingfisher: BEKI 2 (Wednesday's walk was my first trip to Whittier in a long time without seeing these cool birds)

I should have also noted that the wind was fierce Wednesday morning (birded 7:30 to 9:30am) and a flycatcher or warbler may have been around, but hunkered down and not making itself obvious. Soft contact calls were barely discerable with the highway noise and freight-train winds!