OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2009

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 2009 18:14:56 -0700
I took a vacation day today.  Since I was not feeling well with a cold yesterday, left work early and felt terrible all afternoon and evening I felt better today so was finally able to get to Wildwood around noon.  I immediately ran into Mark Anderson in the parking lot and birded with him til about 2:30 when Tom Kellerman joined us.  I haven't seen him in over two years but he knows Mark.  He found the first Northern Parula and Blue-headed Vireo.  They both left at 4:30 saying I wouldn't find anything else.  Ha - found three more warbler species when they left.  It got cold and needed a winter coat but couldn't waste time for that. Started light rain around 5pm and the warblers were again all over the lakefront from Euclid Beach fenceline to bathhouse area.  In tall pine tree near Euclid Beach fenceline saw a Parula again and Blackburnian.   Found Orange-crowned Warbler at 6:06pm west of grassy knoll area.  There were a lot of midges today.  What
 started out looking like only a Yellow-rumped Warbler day turned out better than expected.  Here are the highlights of what we saw today:

Black-crowned Night-Heron 1 adult
Chimney Swift 40
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Blue-headed Vireo 2
Red-breasted Nuthatch 5, White-breasted 2,(Red-breasted all over pines near lake- even little pines near bathhouse
Brown Creeper 6
Golden-crowned Kinglets 9-10, Ruby-crowned 15
Winter Wren 5
Hermit Thrush 2
Gray Catbird 1

Warblers:
Orange-crowned 1
Nashville 4
Northern Parula 1 (maybe 2)
Magnolia 2
Black-throated Blue 2 (1M + 1F)
Yellow-rumped - at least 40
Black-throated Green 2
Blackburnian 1
Pine Warbler 1 (had yellow eye-ring, yellow breast & throat, wingbars, white under tail
Palm 3

White-throated Sparrows - 40+
White-crowned 1, Song 3

Nancy Anderson