OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2009

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Oct 2009 00:27:06 -0400
I checked out Hoover Reservoir (NE of Columbus) yesterday morning and this morning.  Yesterday I focused on the dam area, while today I worked the far northern end: Oxbow Island, Wiese Rd and Area N/boardwalk.  There were a smattering of interesting migrants, but migration is definitely on the wane for landbirds.  Oddly, few waterfowl migrants have shown up yet.  Notables included:

Shorebirds - Wiese Rd and Area N still have a small fringe of mud, and today they served up 25+ Kildeer, 4 Greater Yellowlegs, 1 Lesser Yellowlegs, 1 Pectoral Sandpiper, and 1 STILT SANDPIPER.  The best spot is the small mud peninsula just off the end of the boardwalk.

Gulls - no unsual ones, despite having flocks of Ring-bills totaling 250+ birds between the dam and Walnut Boat lunch yesterday.

Herons - still 2 Great Egrets haunting the shallows around Area N, along with numerous Great Blue Herons

CHimney Swifts - small numbers (8-10) were at the dam yesterday, but even more were around Wiese Rd today (30+)

Woodpeckers - lots of common things, with good #s of Flickers; a bit unsual was a Pileated below the dam yesterday.

Flycatchers/Swallows - only one of note was a Phoebe along Wiese Rd this morning

Thrushes - no Swainsons or Gray-cheeked left at these spots, but have had several small 4-6 bird flocks of E.Bluebirds

Warblers - scarce on both days; included Parula (Area N), Black-thr.Green (dam, Oxbow), Yellow-rumped (many sites), N.Waterthrush (Wiese Rd), Redstart (dam)

Sparrows - surprisingly scarce, with small flocks of Chipping the only exception.  Oxbow had nothing, which was very surprising.