OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2009

From:
Ethan Kistler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ethan Kistler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Oct 2009 15:41:41 -0700
Hi all,

After the report of six Red Phalaropes

Hi all,

After the report of six Red Phalaropes at Conneaut I
headed straight up there. I arrived around 1:45pm when I got a call from Jen
Brumfield that a Vermilion Flycatcher was at Headlands. Of course I left right
away only seeing three of the Red Phalaropes and a Red-necked. They weren’t
at the split (or anything else for that matter) but were at the east end of the
swimming beach. You can view them from the breakwall separating the beach and
spit. They were feeding just a couple feet from the breakwall.

Shortly after the phalaropes, I was viewing the Vermilion
Flycatcher at Headlands with a small crowd. It was very active covering pretty
much the whole grassy area. I heard a couple hours ago that it had flown west.

My last stop of the day was Wake Robin Trail at Mentor
Marsh. I heard that good numbers of Nelson’s Sparrows had been seen there
daily as well as a LeConte’s.  Larry
Richardson, Jan Auburn and I searched the area kicking up at least one Nelson’s
and a Sedge Wren. There are certainly a lot of sparrows around so it’s worth
the stop.

Good birding!

Ethan Kistler

Newton Falls, OH