OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2009

From:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Oct 2009 23:57:54 +0000
Greetings -

The NNW winds early this morning were tempting, so I hit the lakefront for a short lakewatch from Rocky River Park (great open deck overlook). Highlights included a single JAEGER species (very likely Parasitic) and a decent movement of waterfowl. There was not a pronounced flight direction pattern; it was split between birds flying east and west. Even with the relatively good winds, the majority of birds were moving far out along the horizon. A scope was absolutely necessary.

waterfowl highlights:

Northern Pintail - 42
American Wigeon - 36
Green-winged Teal - 30
Northern Shoveler - 2
Lesser Scaup - 25
Red-breasted Merganser - 35
American Black Duck - 8

other:

jaeger species (Parasitic is most definitely the probable species)-
distant scope views of a single adult, made one attack on
Ring-billed Gull, then sheared the water quickly heading west

Chimney Swift - 75+ (half feeding offshore over the lake)
Bald Eagle - 1 adult
Golden-crowned Kinglet - a good movement of kinglets here and elsewhere along the lake today

best of birding -
Jen

Jen Brumfield
Medina, OH