OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2009

From:
"Lehman, Jay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lehman, Jay
Date:
Sat, 10 Oct 2009 21:09:26 -0400
Between 6:00 to 6:30 pm this evening, there was a Franklin's Gull mixed in with the gull flock on the beach at Buck Creek SP/CJ Brown Reservoir.  I arrived between 5:15 and 5:30 pm.  A Red-tailed hawk spooked the flock before I could scan it after arriving.  I decided to wait for awhile to see what might show up, because there appeared to be quite a few gulls scattered around the lake.  At about 6:00 pm, the gulls started returning to the south end of the beach (close to the dam).  I counted 150 Ring-billed Gulls and 4 Herring Gulls.  Just when the gulls were settled, a couple walked their dog up the beach.  Most of the flock flew to the north end of the beach.  Because most of the gulls moved north, I started walking north on the walkway along the beach.  When the couple reached the gull flock, the gulls flew toward me, and I noticed a smaller darker mantled gull with a dark on the head.  So, I started scanning the flock again.  I finally found the Franklin's Gull, partially hidden behind the Ring-billed Gulls right along the water.  I took some photos, and will post them later.  It's been a long day, so I will post later about my long day searching mid-western and south western Ohio lakes and reservoirs for gulls and other interesting birds.
Jay

Jay G. Lehman
Cincinnati, OH