OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2009

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Nov 2009 16:16:36 -0800
I checked out these two Mahoning Co. lakes today to see if there was any fallout around here.  There were exactly 2 common loons, 1 at each lake.  Plenty of other good birds around though.  At Evans L. were 6 buffleheads, 15 hooded mergansers, ruddy ducks, 4 pied-billed grebes, Am. coots, and the adult basic lesser black-backed gull.  There was a strange goose with the Canadas; it looked a lot like a juv. greater white-fronted but the neck was too thick and the the head too big.  Most importantly, it was giving a bark/yelp like some barnyard skank graylag type trying to sound like a Canada to fit in with them.  So next I went to Pine L.  On and around the lake were: Canada geese, 100+ mallards, Am. black ducks, gadwalls, 30 n. shovelers, green-winged teal, wood duck, hooded mergansers, 2 red-breasted mergansers, 40 ruddy ducks, double-crested cormorant, ring-necked pheasant (flushed almost underfoot!!), belted kingfisher, n. flicker, red-bellied
 woodpecker, pileated woodpecker, 2 Carolina wrens, e. bluebirds, Am. tree sparrows, song sparrows, fox sparrow, swamp sparrows, white-crowned sparrow, dark-eyed juncos, c. grackles, red-winged blackbirds, and Am. goldfinches.  Later, Craig