OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2009

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Nov 2009 12:50:37 -0500
Three cave swallows were observed at the Huron Pier this morning.  I was about halfway to the end of the pier and was scanning the open lake.  I took my binoulars down and immediately picked them up as the passed by.  They were flying fairly close together and were flying south down the river.  I was able to watch them head south along the river until they went out of sight when they hit a bend in the river.  I checked the boat harbor and other access points but was unable to relocate them.

There was also an adult California gull at Huron.  It was sitting amongst the gulls just west of the start of the pier.  It was sitting in a group of about 20 herring gulls that were within a group of about 300+ ring-billed gulls.

I was surprised that there were so few waterfowl there.  I watched the open lake for about an hour and saw no mergansers at all.  There was only 3 loons and a few grebes and a small group of mallards.  There were very few Bonaparte's gulls on the river.

I also checked East Harbor State Park this morning.  Very few birds were there.  I saw a group of 30 mixed divers on the lake and a few gulls.  There was very little lake movement there also  Landbirds were also very slow. I'm used to seeing large groups of starlings there with a lot of accipiter activity.  There were none this morning.  I also checked for saw-whets, but saw none.

John Pogacnik