OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2009

From:
Al La Sala <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Al La Sala <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Nov 2009 15:28:37 -0500
I birded Hoover Reservoir this morning and early afternoon.  They were
having a special on Common Loons: Buy 1 get 11 free.  Most of them were
located off the boat ramp at the end of Maxtown Road but I also saw some
just above the dam and one more just above the Smothers Road causeway.  4
Buffleheads showed up at Oxbow, 6 Hooded Mergansers at the boardwalk, and
there was a flyover by Wood Ducks at the boardwalk.
On the way home to have lunch, Alum Creek Dam called my name so I went
there to see what was going on.  The hunters aren't there so the Mallards
assumed it was safe to be there.  Above the dam near the eastern side of
the reservoir was a raft of between 40 and 50 American Coots.  Right
beside the dam I saw a northern rough-winged swallow.  There were a lot of
flying insects (gnats I guess) flying around right by the dam and the
swallow was feeding on them.
I know...it's highly improbable to see a swallow this time of year but not
unheard of.  Remember in Dec. 2007 there was a northern rough-winged
swallow at Hoover Dam?  By the way, did that bird ever stick around for
the Christmas bird count?

Al LaSala
Columbus, OH