OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2009

From:
Ethan Kistler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ethan Kistler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Nov 2009 09:53:37 -0800
Hi all,

Back in June, Bill Whan brought to our attention of the disastrous breeding season in the Canadian arctic. Over the summer I had the opportunity to join the USFWS in Barrow, Alaska to help conduct breeding shorebird surveys. If you followed the reports from Canada, the North Slope can experience completely different results. For those interested, I can email you a copy of the 15-page Breeding Shorebird Studies at Barrow, Alaska 2009 Report that goes in dept on our results from this summer compared to the previous six summers. There's a lot of fascinating information and charts including everything from Avian Influenza, hatch/fledged success, band resightings from East Asia, clutch replacements and so on.

Also, for those who didn't know, I recently moved to Cape Town, South Africa. I will be here for at least three years studying at the University of Cape Town and joining Tropical Birding - www.tropicalbirding.com. If you're in South Africa for birds or the World Cup, shoot me an email!

Ethan Kistler
Newton Falls, Ohio
Cape Town, South Africa
www.nomadicbirder.blogspot.com