OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2009

From:
"Coy, Patrick G." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Coy, Patrick G.
Date:
Fri, 27 Nov 2009 11:24:57 -0500
Karin Tanquist and I (Patrick Coy) returned to Lake Rockwell and Lake Pippin this morning to search for what we took yesterday to be a Western Grebe and to try to digiscope it (we had no camera along yesterday). After two hours of searching, we could not relocate the bird. However, it is not an easy reservoir to bird thoroughly what with the few roads, the many bays, and the Akron watershed trespassing restrictions.

Still, there were plenty of good birds and we had many of the same species as yesterday, although there was likely some movement overnight with a few new species, e.g. Common Loon, Pied-billed Grebe, and differing numbers of repeated species.

Highlights included the 64 Bufflehead, whereas yesterday we had only 2.

Lake Rockwell and Lake Pippen
4--Common Loon
1--Pied-billed Grebe
1--Double-crested Cormorant
2--Great Blue Heron
6--Canada goose
13-Mallard
28-Gadwall
2--American Wigeon
85-Ring-necked Duck
64-Bufflehead
6--Hooded Merganser
34-Common Merganser
2--Red-breasted Merganser
3--Bald Eagle
1--Red-tailed Hawk
17-Ring-billed Gull
2--Blue Jay
4--American Crow
2--Black-capped Chickadee
1--Pileated Woodpecker
1--Northern Cardinal
2--American Tree Sparrow

Patrick Coy and Karin Tanquist
Peninsula, OH

Patrick G. Coy
Director, and Associate Professor
Center for Applied Conflict Management (CACM)
Kent State University
Kent, OH 44242              phone: (330) 672-2875