OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2009

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Nov 2009 21:09:22 -0500
Yesterday morning I birded along the lake.  I started at Metzger and watched
the lake for about 45 minutes.  The only things passing by there were a few
Bonaparte's gulls and 2 late FORSTER'S TERNS.  The only ducks I saw were to
the west.  they were in line from the Metzger parking lot to the water
intake.  The ducks were heading south and then near the crib they appeared
to head west.  Most were too far to identify, but the ones i was able to see
were red-breasted mergansers and lesser scaup.  The marsh at Metzger had
more hunters than birds.

Heading east I had a group of close to 300 tundra swans on Strange Road just
south of Route 2.  There were also 40-50 swans at the entrance to Ottawa
refuge.  Also there were 1 long-billed dowitcher, 1 least sandpiper, 1
lesser yellowlegs, 2 killdeer, and 6 dunlin.  Walking the first couple dikes
at Ottawa I did not see much.  There were a dabbling ducks including
gadwall, American wigeon, mallard, black duck, shoveler, and green-winged
teal.  Not much else.

In southwest Ottawa County I had a group of 12 BREWER'S BLACKBIRDS.  They
were in a flock of about 100 cowbirds.  Elsewhere in the area I saw several
other blackbird flocks.  Most were red-winged blackbirds, but a few
grackles, cowbirds and rusty blackbirds.  I saw no more Brewer's.  Most of
the blackbirds I saw were out this way.  I saw only a small flock of
red-winged blackbirds near Ottawa.

John Pogacnik
4765 Lockwood Road
Perry, OH 44081