OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2009

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Nov 2009 11:07:49 -0800
I went to Sims Park in Euclid this morning from around 9 to noon.  While I was there other birders arrived.  I will list the birds that I saw today as some of the more expert birders saw more flying by and in the water.  Birds also seen by Talkington, Bacik & Leidy.

Lesser Scaup 4 (2M, 2F)
Surf Scoter 1 (immature male) confirmed by Jay Lehman (who helped with ID markings to look for as young male is harder to ID)
White-winged Scoter 1 (was there early, disappeared then returned
Black Scoters 10 (in water) also saw 3 flying east, 1 flying east
Bufflehead - few didn't count
Common Goldeneye  20-25 (most I have seen so far)
Hooded Mergansers 7 (in water 6F+1M)
Red-breasted Mergansers - nowhere near as many as 11/27
Horned Grebes - few
Bald Eagle - 1 immature with some white in tail, splotchy looking from underneath was continually trying to swoop down and get the Scoter (per Talkington)and just wouldn't quit trying. Eventually flew east stirring up the birds.
Bonaparte's Gulls - many out far
Pine Siskin - 1 only seen & heard by Talkington

Wildwood Marina/Cleveland Lakefront State Park
Lesser Scaup 2 f
Hooded Mergansesr 1 f
Bufflehead 7 (6M,1F)

Nancy Anderson