OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2009

From:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 2009 19:50:49 -0500
Adam and I went looking for Eagles today in N.E. Ohio and were more than
pleased with the results:

1 Adult in the Tare Creek nest just north of Middlefield

1 immature acting like a Rough-legged Hawk on Hayes Road  just north of
Nauvoo Road.  It hovered above an area for a little bit then dropped into
the field but out of our sight for about 5 minutes.  Then it flew into a
nearby tree and began tearing apart and eating whatever it just grabbed.
Even with the scope at 60x it was not easy to see what it captured but you
could see strips of red meat being eaten!

4 Rough-legged Hawks in this same location.  This should be a good spot all
winter as I suggested yesterday.

1 Kestrel about 2 miles away on a telephone line.

At Pymatuning  (sorry, I know it is not OHIO) Wildlife area, overlooking the
marsh from the Learning Center near the spillway, we watched 10 Eagles
working for about an hour!  One was clearly an adult sitting about 1 mile
from 9 immatures with varying amounts of white in their feathers.  It was
interesting to watch the young eagles chase the one with a fish, just like
gulls!  You need a spotting scope here.  Many other waterfowl can be seen in
the marsh but you need high power to positively identify some of them
(Common & Red-breasted Mergansers, dabbling ducks of all types, Swans x4,
etc).

Heading home we crossed the causeway and Eagle #13 flew right over our car
as we drove!

Good birding!

Matt & Adam Valencic

Chagrin Falls, OH