OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2009

From:
Bruce Glick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Glick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 2009 18:28:11 -0800
Robert Hershberger and I birded Wellington Reservoir, Oberlin Res, Avon Lake, Eastlake, Sim's Park and Headlands

Wellington was great - sunrise and clouds, 80 southbound Common Loons and 1 Red-throated Loon, 38 Tundra Swans calling loudly as they came over, sun shining on them. There are still many (1000+?) Ruddy Ducks there plus both scaup, Redhead, Canvasback, Ring-necks, Wigeon, Gadwall, Wood Duck, Bufflehead, Hooded and Red-breasted Mergansers, Horned and Pied-billed Grebes. More Ruddies, 38 Hooded Mergansers, plus Bufflehead at Oberlin.
    Lesser Black-backed Gull at Avon Lake plus a group of 7-8 Black Scoters just west at Landing.
    Impressive numbers of Red-breasted Mergansers (5,000+?) at Eastlake
    One lone Surf Scoter and 10 Black Scoters at Sim's Park - Black Scoters were quite close.
    Purple Sandpiper at Headlands - on the east side (away from the wind) of the breakwall going out to the lighthouse. Another group of Wayne County birders had an adult Little Gull (and the Purple Sandpiper) at the same location. We couldn't find the Little Gull.

Bruce

Bruce Glick
Millersburg, Ohio