OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2009

From:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 2009 20:45:19 -0800
As John mentioned earlier, the Lorain-Huron lakefront has long been a hot spot for peak Red-breasted concentrations within the state.  Emil Bacik  and I have been covering this stretch religiously over the past couple of months, and such concentrations have been virtually nonexistent.  We were, however, lucky enough to catch one decent movement a couple weeks ago at Lorain.  That particular day, a double-strand of mergs stretched from horizon to horizon for a total of eight minutes, totaling 9600 birds conservatively.  Interestingly, no such numbers were noted beforehand or since.  Where are going?  I think that there may be some truth to speculation that birds may be congregating far out on the lake.  With such mild weather this year, lakefront migration of other indicative species, Bonaparte's Gull for example, have been quite lackluster - preceding last weekend's northern blast.

This, of course, doesn't quite explain the long-term downturn in merg numbers.

- Gabe Leidy