OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2009

From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 2009 16:41:05 -0800
I had a couple of free hours this afternoon to enjoy the nice weather, so I headed to the Deer Creek Wildlife Area in Fayette and Pickaway Counties (with a portion in Madison Co. too). ODNR has finally posted the long overdure update to the DCWA map on their website showing the current boundaries of the public land here :

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/wild_resourcessubhomepage/WildlifeAreaMaps/CentralOhioWildlifeAreas/DeerCreekWildlifeArea/tabid/19698/Default.aspx

If all you have ever explored there is the vicinity of the reservoir, I can say that there is always some interesting birding anywhere in the WA. That map doesn't show all the parking areas. The Northern extreme in Madison Co. can be accessed by parking on Clark Run Rd, and the southern extreme can be access by parking on an unshown area just N of New Holland on Egypt Pike Rd. There are a lot of hunters there now, though.

Today I only had time to check out the reservoir. Without Daylight Saving Time, it gets dark too soon!  Water levels have dropped dramatically over the past week. There is a lot of freshly exposed mudflats over a wide area, and the shorebirds present were spread out throughout the whole area. KIlldeers in numbers were present everywhere I looked and a few Dunlins were also at most stops. In addition to those all I saw was a few each of Least Sandpipers and Wilson's Snipes. Gull numbers were still failrly low. In addition to the Ring-billed and Herring Gulls that have been present a while were several Bonaparte's Gulls. Notable birds on the reservoir were 7 Common Loons, several Pied-billed Grebes, and about a half-dozen each of Gadwalls, Ruddy Ducks, and Hooded Mergansers. It's a start.

Bob Royse

Robert Royse
www.roysephotos.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4580 (20091106) __________