OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2009

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Nov 2009 12:08:22 -0800
I was at Sims Park from 9:20 to about 12:00 today.  I returned around 2pm but most of the activity was in the morning.  Sims Park is in the city of Euclid on Lakeshore Blvd. around East 232nd St. on Lake Erie.  There was an almost adult Eagle sitting for over an hour in the dead tree that hangs over the water far east of the pier.  The Scoters kept moving around, leaving and returning.  At one point the Black Scoter flew to the  north - northeast very far out and landed with three other ducks and at least two of them were Black Scoters.  When the Bald Eagle flew out around 10:30 they could not be found and only one Black Scoter remained with the Surf Scoter.  Chris Pierce joined me for awhile after he was able to see all the Scoters in Rocky River.  Here are the birds I saw this morning:

Canada Geese 250-300
Surf Scoter 1 female
Black Scoter 3 females
Bufflehead 4-5
Common Goldeneye 10
Hooded Merganser 1m
Red-breasted Mergansers - many to far out to count - multiple hundreds
Common Mergansers 1
Common Loon 4
Double-crested Cormorants  8-10
Bald Eagle 1 (slightly dirty looking head) was also seen 11/7 flying east of the park and then flew over the park
Coopers Hawk 1
Bonaparte's Gulls - many seen - very common now since 11/7
Golden-crowned Kinglets - few
Dark-eyed Junco - 10-12
Tufted Titmouse 1

I went to Villa Angela/Wildwood Area/Cleveland Lakefront St Park today and the only thing of interest were 6-8 American Tree Sparrows.  Also, I don't remember when I have seen so many boat trailers in the Wildwood marina parking lot.  There was almost nowhere to park.  All the boats today were stirring up the bird at Sims Park.

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/